Driver licence renewals
Step 1 - Check the following are still valid and obtain certificates (if expired)
- Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training
This course must be completed every three (3) years. Please check if you need to renew your course for your licence renewal application. Provided by Oxfordshire County Council (£55 fee paid directly to the County Council)
- Medical Certification Report
The Medical Certificate must be renewed every six (6) years, or every year if:
- you are over 65 years old, or
- you have certain medical conditions.
Please check if you need to renew your medical for your licence renewal application by referring to the expiry date on the rear of your current badge. The Medical Certification Report must be completed by your GP / Doctor.
ALL questions on the form must be answered and there is usually a fee.
Once you have your Medical Certificate you have 4 months in which to submit your application to the Council, or you will need to obtain a new certificate.
- Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) Online Update Service
Your DBS Certificate must be signed up to the Online DBS Update Service, so we can carry out online check for your renewal application. You must also demonstrate that you hold the original certificate. If you do not have the original DBS Certificate, and/or you are not signed up for the DBS Update Service, you must obtain a new DBS certificate, regardless of the DBS expiry on your badge.
To apply for a new DBS certificate you must do this online by visiting Taxi Plus website https://www.taxiplus.co.uk/councils/oxford-city-council where you will be able to create your own account and make payment. If you have questions on how to apply or need support whilst completing the application you can contact TaxiPlus directly on TaxiPlus: Online chat: https://www.taxiplus.co.uk/help/ email: email@example.com Telphone: 01254 355696
Step 2 - Prepare your documents and Online Check / Share Codes
Have all the documents listed below ready and take a clear scan or photograph of each document (as instructed) on your device, ready to upload when completing your online application at the bottom of this page:
We strongly advise you to apply at least two (2) months before the licence expiry to avoid any delays in processing.
- Copy/scan of DVLA Driving Licence
- Copy/scan of Proof of Right to Work in the UK (unrestricted) – usually passport or share code (if applicable)
- Copy/scan of one passport sized/style photograph
- Copy of your full DBS Certificate, which is signed up for the Online DBS Update Service
- Safeguarding and Disability Awareness Training (if due this year)
- Medical Examination Report (if due this year)
When completing the online application, you will be required to provide an online Check / Share codes for the following types of checks (you can get them ready now and enter onto the online form, web links below)
- The DVLA Check Code – you must generate an online share code but DO NOT run the check. The check must be done by a Council officer. If you run the check by mistake you will need to generate another online share code.
- The HMRC Tax Check Code – you must generate an online share code if you have carried a similar licenced activity previously. If not, you will be able to declare that on the online form
- Complete a tax check for a taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- The Right to Work (RTW) Online Share Code – you must generate an online share code, you do not need the code if you hold a UK and Irish Passports or UK birth certificate
Step 3 - Submit the application to the Council
You are now ready to submit your online application, but before you do, read Steps 4 to 8.
To start the on-line application process, use the button at the bottom of this page.
You must include / upload ALL the relevant Certificates, Documents listed above.
Once you have successfully submitted your online application, you will receive an automated email response that we have received your application. We will then assess your application. If your application is not complete, we will email you back with the advice on what needs to be corrected or what details or documents you have missed. If additional documents are required, click this link: Additional Documents
If your application is valid, we will move to the next step.
Step 4 - Payment for your application
Once you have successfully submitted your online application (valid or invalid), you will need to make a payment within 14 days.
You will receive an email with a reference number of your application. You will need to call the Applications Team on 01865 252115 to make a payment, over the phone via secure line using your Debit/Credit card.
After taking the payment, we will email you the receipt.
If you do not make the payment within 14 days your application will be withdrawn.
Step 5 - Right to Work in the UK evidence
We will send you a website link via email from Trust ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) to follow and upload your Right to Work evidence online. From the date of the email, you will have a period of 7 days to upload your documents as part of your application process. You will either upload a copy of your valid (in date) UK/Irish passport or input your share code, whichever applies to you.
Step 6 - Certificate & Online Update Service
The DBS Certificate will arrive at your home address only. The Council do not get a copy. Once you have received the DBS Certificate, you need to complete the following:
- Register for the online DBS Update Service (if you haven’t subscribed yet) here https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service using your certificate number: DBS Update Service. You must do this within 30 days of the issue date of the certificate (printed on your certificate)
*NOTE: You can subscribe for the online DBS Update Service via https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service as soon as you submit your online DBS application via TaxiPlus. You will need the DBS application reference number to subscribe, as soon as the Certificate is issued by the DBS, your online subscription will become live
2. Upload a copy of the DBS certificate (front and back even if it is blank) to your existing application by clicking this link: Additional Documents
Step 7 - Wait for the decision and licence
Once you have submitted the final documents, the final checks will take few days. Please be patient and wait until we contact you. Once the licence is issued, we will email your Paper Licence (counterpart) document first. Your badge will be send by post and will arrive at your home address few days later.
Please be aware that this is only a ‘Quick Guide’ to assist on how to apply for a New Hackney Carriage and / or Private Hire Driver Licence and you must refer to the full Driver Application Terms and Conditions to find full details and guidance on all the Licensing criteria and conditions that must be met under ‘Fit and Proper’ person with this Authority.
Helpful Information Regarding the Renewal Application:
Once you have loaded the application – you will be required to search for your licence using our driver licence badge look up button, shown below:
Once you click on the button, the following screen will open – please type your name as it appears on your paper licence and your badge number in the format PHD123 / HPD123. Once you click search the record should populate your badge number in the Driver licence badge number box below. If this doesn’t work – please refer to your paper licence for how your name is recorded on our records.