Housing benefit for single people aged under 35

These rules apply to existing claimants. If you are single and do not have an existing housing benefit award, it is likely that you should claim Universal Credit.

If you are single, living in private rented accommodation then your award will, in most circumstances, be based on the shared accommodation award.

Circumstances where you would be entitled to the one bedroom rate of LHA:

  • If you are in receipt of the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate, or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment.
  • If you are under the age of 22 and have been in care.
  • If you are aged between 25 and 35 and have been in a homeless hostel (for at least three months) that provides support.
  • If you are aged between 25 and 35 and are an ex-offender subject to a MAPPA agreement.

You will also be entitled to a higher rate of LHA if you require an overnight carer or have one or more non-dependants.