Extended benefit payment

An extended payment is a continuation of your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (or both) for up to four weeks when you start a new job or increase your working hours.

Who qualifies for the payment

You qualify for extended benefit payments if:

  • You or your partner start employment, or  increase the hours worked; and
  • This change in working hours is expected to last five weeks or more; and
  • Immediately prior to this change, you or your partner has continuously received, for at least 26 weeks:

Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance/ Severe Disability Allowance, and that this benefit has now stopped.

Sometimes it can be a combination of the benefits noted above, please contact us for further information. Note, the benefit must also be due to end. You must also be:

  • Under 60; and
  • Still liable to pay rent, Council Tax or both.

How much you get

You will normally receive the same amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction as you did in the last week before you started work or increased your hours.

How to claim

There is no need to claim an extended payment. However, any change in your circumstances must always be reported within a month.

Extended Payments and being Self Employed

The conditions noted above generally will still apply if you are starting employment as a self employed earner and the work is genuine and effective. Please contact us for further information.

Claiming when the extended payment is due to end or has finished

If your income is low enough, you may still be entitled to claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

If you decide that you want to apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, you will need to complete a form and return it to us as soon as possible.

Don't wait until the extended benefit period has finished.

If your claim is not in payment please complete a new application form.

If your claim is in payment please complete a Changes in Circumstances form.

Once we have received your evidence and application form, we will then assess your entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction based on your circumstances.

Remember it is important to let us know quickly of any changes to your household, income etc.