Working out your local housing allowance if you're severely disabled

If you are severely disabled (for housing benefit purposes), or live with a severely disabled partner, and have no dependent children, your benefit will be based on the one bedroom Local Housing Allowance rate (even if you are in shared accommodation).

Qualifying Rules

To qualify:

You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance, or
  • Attendance Allowance at either rate, or
  • The standard or enhanced care components of Personal Independence Payment, or
  • Industrial Disablement or War Disablement benefit that contains an increase for mobility or attendance.

Have no non-dependants, unless any of the following exceptions apply:

  • A non-dependant who receives one of the benefits listed above, or
  • A non-dependant is registered or certified blind.

Additionally, no-one can be receiving Carers Allowance for looking after you. However, if you have an overnight carer, an extra room will be allowed in calculating your LHA entitlement. For more information, please visit our Working out your LHA page.