Council Tax Income 2023-2024
The Council Tax you pay is split between various authorities. The table below shows how much of your Council Tax goes to these authorities.
(All figures quoted refer to Council Tax Band D and are rounded to the nearest pound. Percentages here and on the actual Council Tax bill are expressed to one decimal place).
|Authority||Percentage of Council Tax||2023/24 Amount|
|Oxford City Council (including Parish precepts)||14.67%||£342.13|
|Oxfordshire County Council||74.34%||£1734.03|
|Police and Crime Commissioner (Thames Valley)||10.99%||£256.28|
Oxford City's basic amount of Council Tax inclusive of parish precepts is £342.13 for 2023-24 (average across Parished). Excluding parish precepts, the Basic Amount of Council Tax is £336.30 for 2022-23
Therefore, If you live in an average band D home in Oxford, £336.30 of your total Council Tax bill for this year helps pay for Oxford City Council services.
This is a 2.99% increase on the 2022/23 figure of £326.54 which is an annual increase of £9.76 or approximately 19p per week.
The cost of Oxford City Council's services is equivalent to under one-sixth of your total Council Tax bill.
Increases that are being asked for this year
Oxfordshire County Council has increased their overall 2022-23 Council Tax by 4.99% to £1,754.03. It should be noted that 2.99% of that figure is due to 'General Expenditure' and the remaining 2% is in respect of an Adult Social Care precept. Please see the 'statement concerning adult social care funding' below.
Oxford City Council's overall Band D Council Tax (including Parishes) has increased by 12.88% from £332.54 in 2022-23 to £342.13 in 2023-24.
Oxford City Council's overall Band D Council Tax (net of Parishes) has increased by 2.99% from £326.54 in in 2022-23 to £336.30 in 2023/24.
The Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley has increased their 2022-23 Band D Council Tax by £15 per year to £256.28. This is equivalent to a 6.2% increase.
Oxford City Council provides services to four Parish Councils within its boundaries.
The Parishes ask for funding to pay for services they provide in the form of a precept on the City Council. Residents in the parishes pay this as part of their Council Tax.
Oxford City Council therefore also raises Council Tax to pay for Parish Councils and the Basic Amount of Council Tax inclusive of Parish precepts is £342.13 (average figure across parishes) for 2023-24.
In the Unparished Area, the City Council undertakes the parish functions.
The costs relating to this are as follows:
|Parish||2023/24 (£'000)||2022/23 (£'000)|
|Risinghurst and Sandhills||58.8||57.4|
|Total "Special Items"||933.2||909.1|
Council Tax Requirement (including Parishes)
In accordance with the Localism Act 2011 the Council is required to calculate its Council Tax requirement. This figure is the amount that the Council will raise in council tax from the residents in the city to fund services for the coming year 2023-24.
The Oxford City Council's Requirement from Council Tax for 2023-24 is £15,682,423. This includes the Parish Precepts of £267,070..
The equivalent figure in 2022/23 was £15,028,571.
The Tax Base for 2023/24 (the total number of dwellings adjusted for exemptions and discounts, and expressed as Band D equivalents) has increased from the 2022/23 figure of 45,193.20 to 45,838.10.
The reasons for this are:
- The increase in the number of newly built dwellings. Particularly the developments in Bayhams Drive in Wolvercote, William Morris Close in Cowley and Armstrong Road in Littlemore.
- The reduction in the level of estimate exemptions that will be applied in 2023/24. This reduction in estimated exemptions has occurred due to a decrease in the number of properties in receipt of student exemptions, and will have an effect of increasing the overall Tax Base.
- Changes in the level of discounts and properties eligible for Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
The Band D council tax (excluding parishes) for 2023/24 is £336.30. This is a 2.99% increase on the 2022/23 figure of £326.54.
Statement concerning adult social care funding
Amendment of the Council Tax (Demand Notices) (England) Regulations 2011
The Secretary of State made an offer to adult social care authorities. ("Adult social care authorities" are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014, namely county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.)
The offer was the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional "precept" on its council tax without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting its expenditure on adult social care from the financial year 2016-17. It was originally made in respect of the financial years up to and including 2019-20. If the Secretary of State to renew this offer in respect of a particular financial year, this is subject to the approval of the House of Commons.
The 2021/22 Local Government Finance Settlement has allowed authorities with Social Care responsibilities to raise an ASC precept of 3% on top of the 1.99% core increase. The Oxfordshire County Council has decided to raise a 1% ASC precept in 2021-22 making their total increase 2.99%. The County Council's full Band D charge of £1,573.11 is made up of £1,424.99 General Precept and £148.12 ASC precept. It should be noted that the County Council may decide to use the remaining 2% to finance Social Care in 2022-23.
The 2022/23 Local Government Finance Settlement has allowed authorities with Social Care responsibilities to raise an ASC precept of 1% on top of the 1.99% core increase. The Oxfordshire County Council has decided to raise this 1% ASC precept in 2022-23 and in addition has also opted to raise the 2% ASC precept remaining from 2021/22 (see above). This total of 3% SAC makes their total increase 4.99%. The County Council's full Band D charge of £1,651.61 is made up of £1,456.29 General Precept and £195.32 ASC Precept.
The 2023/24 Local Government Finance Settlement has allowed authorities with Social Care responsibilities to raise an ASC precept of 2% on top of the 2.99% core increase. The Oxfordshire County Council has decided to raise this 2% ASC precept in 2023/24 making their total increase 4.99%. The County Council's full Band D charge of £1,734.03 is made up of £1,505.67 General Precept and £228.36 ASC Precept.