Motor Salvage Operators

Any person who carries on a business that involves the recovery of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and the subsequent sale or disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicle, or the purchase of 'written off' vehicles for repair or resale, or other related activities needs to apply for a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence.

Please visit our Scrap Metal Dealer pages for more information

Before seeking a licence you should first have obtained suitable premises and planning permission - contact our Planning Department who will be able to advise.

You may also need to hold an Environment Agency Waste Management Licence - contact the Environment Agency. Please also see the Environment Agency's Position Statement on when a motor vehicle is considered to be waste.