Temporary Event Notices

Limits on the use of Temporary Event Notices

Anyone aged 18 or over can apply for a maximum of five Temporary Event Notices per calendar year. Personal licence holders can apply for a maximum of fifty Temporary Event Notices per calendar year.

Temporary Event Notices are subject to other maximum limits, as set out below.

Each event covered by a Temporary Event Notice can last up to 168 hours and no more than 15 Temporary Event Notices can be applied for in respect of any particular premises in any year, subject to a maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by Temporary Event Notices at any individual premises of 21 days in any year. There must be a minimum of 24 hours between events notified by a premises user or associates of that premises user in respect of the same premises.

Each event can only be for a maximum capacity of 499 people.

Important Changes for 2022 and 2023

The Regualtions have amended the limits prescribed by the Licensing Act to increase the allowance for temporary event notices from 15 to 20 notices per year and increase the maximum number of days on which temporary events may be held from 21 days to 26 days per year. This increase only applies in the years 2022 and 2023.

Late Temporary Event Notices

Anyone over the age of 18 can submit two Late Temporary Event Notices in a calendar year. A Personal Licence holder can submit ten but the above restrictions in relation to days the events cover still apply. A late Temporary Event Notice is when it is submitted between 5 and 9 working days (these days do not include the date of the event and the date that the notice was submitted).

Using Temporary Event Notices for a series of events

It will be possible to send a series of Temporary Event Notices together (for the academic year, for example) provided that the first of the events is at least ten working days from the sending date.

Large-scale events

Temporary Event Notices cannot be used for events of more than 499 people. If you are planning such an event, you will need to obtain a Premises Licence if the premises are not already licensed. Please contact the Licensing Authority to discuss the requirements further.