Apply for a Variation to a Premises Licence

This page details how to vary an existing Premises Licence.

Varying a Premises Licence

If the variation to the licence constitutes a material variation (such as combining two premises into one), then you will need to make a new application.

Use the application form below 

How long it takes

The consultation period is 28 days, counted from the day we receive your application. Depending on representations, it may take some weeks after the end of this period to process the application, especially if it needs a hearing.

Also, if the licence provides for the sale of alcohol, your Designated Premises Supervisor will need to have a Personal Licence. This can take some time as they will need to complete training course and obtain a criminal record certificate beforehand.

When to apply

You can apply for a variation to your Premises Licence at any time.

Discussing your draft application

We strongly advise you to discuss your draft application with the police (and other Responsible Authorities to suit your proposals) before sending the final version. Where official objections can be negotiated away, there is much less chance of needing to attend a hearing.

Advertising your application

You need to advertise your application both:

  • once in a local newspaper within 14 days
  • on a poster at the premises for at least 28 days

Use the Blue A4 notice and draft newspaper public notice in the relevant documents below

What you need to send us

Make sure you send us:

  • a completed application form
  • payment of the fee by cheque, postal order or credit/debit card

What to send to the other Responsible Authorities

Send a copy of everything on the list above to each of the other Responsible Authorities, except the cheque in payment of the fee.

The Responsible Authorities you need to send copies to for a new Premises Licence application are:

  • Thames Valley Police
  • The Planning Authority
  • Environmental Protection
  • Health and Safety (see note below)
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Social and Health Care
  • Trading Standard
  • NHS
  • The Home Office

Contact details for all these bodies can be found on our Licensing Contacts page.

Note that City and County Council premises and all educational institutions are dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive rather than Health and Safety at the City Council. Please make sure you copy your application to the appropriate authorities in these cases.

Relevant documents

Varying an existing Premises Licence

Licence fees for premises and clubs