Oxford City Council social media moderation policy
We encourage and welcome open, lively debate on our social media channels as long as it is civil and relevant. Remember your comments and posts are public and available to anyone visiting our channels. We won’t suppress legitimate debate of relevant issues, however, we want to ensure people’s safety online, so we’ve provided the following guidelines.
- respect other comments and individuals – comments should not be malicious or offensive, or attack a person’s character. Remember, there’s a person behind each comment
- stay on-topic, as far as possible.
You must not:
- break the law (this includes libel) promote or condone illegal activity or break copyright law
- make malicious or offensive comments, or link to materials that do
- incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality, sexuality or other personal/protected characteristics (as defined in the Equality Act 2010)
- advertise commercial products or services, although mentioning relevant products or services is okay as long as they support your comment
- impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or organisation
- use abusive language towards an individual involved in the thread, other organisations or the page administrator
- post content that is designed to cause nuisance to the page administrator or other users, including spamming the channel.
We reserve the right to remove comments at any time for any of the above reasons.
For serious or persistent breaches of the policy, we reserve the right to prevent users from posting further comments on our pages and/or report them to the platform and/or relevant authority.
Social media usage
Our social media channels (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube) will be monitored Monday to Friday during office hours (not including bank holidays).
We aim to get back to direct messages or questions within a reasonable timeframe, however, we are unable to respond to every comment. If your question is urgent please contact us.