Properties that need a HMO licence

Houses or flats that need a HMO licence

In Oxford all HMOs must have an HMO licence.

A house or flat is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if:

  • It is occupied by three (3) or more people: Adults and children are counted as people
  • They form two (2) or more households: A household may be; either a single person, or several members of the same family all related by blood (up to first cousin distance), or marriage (or equivalent co-habiting arrangement).
  • They share basic amenities: Toilet, bathroom and/or kitchen
  • It is their only or main residence: Includes full-time students and use as a refuge from domestic violence
  • The house is used as a home only: i.e. it's a residential house or flat, and not a commercial unit
  • Rent is payable: or other consideration, e.g. accommodation provided instead of wages