Safeguarding vulnerable people from extremism

Oxford City Council is part of a multi-agency partnership to tackle and support vulnerable people (adults or children) that may be radicalised by extremist groups.  The Prevent programme aims to: 

  • respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism
  • support vulnerable people and prevent people from being drawn into terrorism 
  • work with key sectors and institutions and address risks.

It is important to focus on early intervention before any illegal activity takes place.  This will reduce the likelihood of individuals who support a violent extremist ideology of becoming terrorists. 

Spotting the signs

There is no single profile of a person likely to become involved in extremism and the process of radicalisation is different for every individual.  Radicalisers use normal social processes such as loyalty, self-perception, and fear of exclusion to influence others.

Signs that an individual may be being groomed into extremism could be:

  • vulnerable individuals becoming withdrawn and stop participating in their usual activities.  
  • they may express feelings of:
    • anger
    • grievance
    • injustice
    • or go missing from their home, school or care setting
  • a new group of friends who have an extremist ideology
  • using language that supports ‘us and them’ thinking
  • or possessing or searching for extremist literature online.

Reporting concerns

Don’t rely on others. Please report any concerns you have about an adult or child who you think may be vulnerable to being drawn into extremism.  Here is a simple diagram that provides information on reporting concerns.

Prevent referral diagram

If emergency services are required - call 999.

Concern about an adult - call 0345 050 7666 (Press option 1)

Concern about a child - call 0345 050 7666 (Press option 2)

If you would like to make a referral direct to the police or discuss concerns about an individual with the police, please email Thames Valley Police at

Further information

Further information can be obtained from the Oxfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board.