Report a breach of planning control

We will record and investigate potential breaches in planning control reported to us.

To make a report we will need you to provide:

  • the address of the property that you are concerned about
  • the building works or change of use that have taken place
  • the name of the owner or occupier and their contact details if you know them
  • then the works or change of use took place
  • the harm that this is causing to you or anybody else
  • any other information that you think would help us to investigate whether planning permission is needed
  • what action would best resolve the problem for you
  • your name, address, telephone and email contact

Report a breach of planning control

Investigations we do not pursue

Sometimes we do not proceed with investigations, but we will tell you the reasons why if you provide your contact details. We will also tell you how you can challenge this decision if you disagree.

Examples of where we do not pursue an investigation are:

  • The concern is outside our control
  • The concern is a matter for another council service or organisation to deal with
  • The concern relates to the highway - this should be reported directly to Oxfordshire County Council
  • The concern relates to a boundary issue
  • The concern appears frivolous or vexatious
  • The development does not require planning permission
  • There is no evidence that the development has taken place.


All complaints and investigations are carried out on a strictly confidential basis. We will not disclose any details, that could identify you. Anonymous complaints will be investigated but not as a priority.

For investigations that result in legal proceedings you may be invited to give a witness statement on a voluntary basis.