Make a Comment, Compliment or Complaint

What we do with Complaints


If you are dissatisfied with the service we provide, the best way to resolve this is to contact the service involved and explain your concerns. We will seek to explain and, if required, address any issues.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your initial complaint, the Head of Service will investigate and reply to you.

In the unlikely event that you remain dissatisfied with our earlier responses, the Chief Executive will arrange for an investigation to be carried out and an independent view will be taken.

In some instances, depending on the nature of the complaint, we may decide that the initial investigation should be undertaken by the Head of Service or on behalf of the Chief Executive.


We aim to acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days. Our aim is to provide you with a full response to your initial query within a further 10 working days. 

If we cannot reply to you within these timescales, we will let you know and give you an alternative timescale. 

Unless you have requested us to respond in a specific manner, our response will be by email, telephone or letter, or in some cases, face-to-face.

Local Government Ombudsman

If you have exhausted all the stages of our complaints procedure and you feel that your complaint has not been resolved satisfactorily, you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Local Government Ombudsman will carry out an independent investigation into your complaint.

For more information and contact details visit the Local Government Ombudsman website.

Complaints Against Councillors

Visit our Standards and Conduct Arrangements for Councillors page for information on how to make a complaint if you are unhappy about the way that a Councillor, a member of either Oxford City Council or a Parish Council within the city, has behaved.