Private Hire Vehicles
Private Hire vehicles (PHVs, also called minicabs);
- are licensed only to carry passengers who have pre-booked with a licensed operator.
- Must display a yellow licence plate on the rear of the vehicle which gives the licence and registration numbers, type of vehicle and licence expiry date.
- Are not subject to fare scales set by the Council, although many of the Private Hire vehicles in Oxford City have meters set at the same scale. It is always advisable to agree your fare, or how the fare will be determined at the point of booking with the Operator.
- Have the Operators details on the rear doors for easy identification.
Both vehicles and their drivers must be licensed to ensure they meet legal requirements. In the case of PHVs, the operator (who arranges the hiring) must also be licensed. Both taxis and PHVs have a maximum of eight passenger seats.
Taxi Safety Advice
Please be aware that it is very dangerous to get into an unlicensed vehicle for a lift that you pay for. You can not guarantee the safety of the vehicle or driver and the driver will not be insured in the event of an accident. If a Private Hire Vehicle picks you up without a booking, they will also not be insured and are acting illegally.
- Never get into a vehicle that does not display an appropriate plate at the rear. It is not insured and may not be licensed.
- Ensure that the driver is displaying an Oxford City Council approved badge.
- Make a note of the licence number of any vehicle you hire.
In ensuring that Oxford is a safe city for people to live in, work in or visit, the Licensing Team work within the NightSafe Partnership.
Oxford City Council Approved Operators
A list of licensed Private Hire Operators can be found below should you wish to book a Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle for your journey.