Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Newsletter

Right to Work in United Kingdom – Home Office Update

Please be minded that Home Office has issued an amended Guidance ‘An employer’s guide to right to work checks’ on 28 January 2019. The Licensing Authority has a duty to follow the Home Office guidance.

“As a result of changes made by the Immigration Act 2016, licensing authorities now carry out right to work checks when considering applications for licences in the taxi and private hire vehicle sector and the alcohol and late night refreshment sector. Applicants need to provide evidence of their right to work in the UK and licences will not be issued to those who do not have the right to do the work in question.”

Check you if your Right to Work in UK documents are valid and acceptable in accordance with the Home Office Guidance.

To assist the trade and to ensure no unnecessary delays take place when making a renewal application in the Council offices, the Authority would like to advise all licence holders to revise their documents which determine their right to work in United Kingdom. It might be possible that the documents which have been provided and accepted in previous years are no longer valid (Home Office Guidance).

We have recently come across renewal applications where the documents provided to verify the right to work in UK were no longer acceptable. The renewal appointments had to be terminated and applicants advised to take additional steps to provide valid right to work in UK. The Authority must follow the Home Office guidance.

Please be aware that the travel documents which are acceptable and allow travelling and entering UK do not necessarily prove the valid right to work in the UK. 

Travel to and from the UK

You can use the valid visa in your expired passport when you’re travelling to and from the UK. You’ll need to travel with your expired and your new passport.

Important - Prove your right to work in the UK. You cannot use a valid visa in your expired passport to prove you have the right to work in the UK. You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit 

Please ensure you have the correct documents when attending your appointment.

Useful links: