It is of course up to the individual cyclist to cycle safely. However we support the following principles:
- Wear a safety helmet
- Check your bike is in good working order before you leave
- Plan your route
- Fit a bell to warn pedestrians and motorists
- Fit front and rear lights and a good red rear reflector for cycling at night and carry spare batteries
- Wear reflective clothing after dark
- Carry a small emergency toolkit.
Visit The Claudia Charter for safer cycling in Oxford website for more information about creating a safer, friendlier, and more collaborative environment on Oxford’s roads.
Visit the Cyclist pages of the Highway Code to see the rules of the road for cyclists.
We suggests the following:
- Get a good bike lock (D locks or combination locks are best. Look for Sold Secure Ltd. approved locks, or ask for a recommendation at a bike shop)
- Lock your bike to something secure, ideally a bike rack, but take car not to obstruct the footway
- Lock up removable parts (for example, wheels) or take them with you (for example, light fittings and seats)
- Have your bike security-marked or engraved