Recycled plastic can be turned into all kinds of things - even fleece jackets! In Oxford you're able to recycle several different types of plastic packaging in your blue household recycling bin or sack.
Please rinse your recycling and place in your bin loose or in a clear bag. The list below shows which plastics can and can't be recycled in Oxford. If you come across a plastic item that is not on the list below, please let us know and we'll add it on.
We understand that recycling plastic can be confusing. This is due to the wide range of plastic products available to buy and particular contract specifications with our recycling processor. Our best advice is to ignore the codes and symbols on products, as they can often be misleading, and instead follow our lists and tests below.
- Plastic bottles (including kitchen and bathroom products - please remove trigger/pump)
- Plastic casing
- Black plastic food trays
- Clear plastic trays with or without film lids
- Cling film
- Plastic bags (please do not fill; keep empty)
- Yogurt pots
- Bubble wrap
- Medicine tubs
- Thin plastic wrappings (e.g. salad bags)
- Coffee machine pods
- Confectionery and crisp wrappers
- Salad bags
- Disposable razors
- Cereal packets
- Plastic CD and DVD cases
- Hard plastic (e.g. washing up bowls)
- Plastic toys
- Small electrical items which fit inside a standard carrier bag can be recycled by placing on top of your bin lid on either collection day. Larger electronic goods can be recycled in one of our pink collection banks.
For plastic films and wraps, use our helpful tests to determine whether or not something can be recycled in your blue bin.