You'll probably need planning permission if you want to:
- build something new
- make a major change to your building - eg building an extension
- change the use of your building
You can check this using the Planning Portal interactive guide.
When you don't need planning permission
Some building projects don't need planning permission. This is known as permitted development rights.
Building projects that normally have permitted development rights include:
- industrial premises and warehouses - though there are some limits and conditions
- some outdoor signs and advertisements - though there are special rules around these
- demolition - but before you begin you must get approval to demolish from your local planning authority
There are other projects that might not need planning permission, eg projects that will have no impact on your neighbours or the environment. If you think this could apply to your project, check with us.