Freedom of Information Overview

We are committed to open government and making as much information as possible accessible to the general public. However, we also respect confidentiality and personal privacy of data protection, and other relevant controls upon access to information.

The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to obtain information held by public authorities, including this Council, unless there are good reasons to keep it confidential. This general right of access under the Freedom of Information Act came into force in January 2005.

The Freedom of Information Act creates two general rights in relation to information:

  • The right to be told whether or not the information requested is held;
  • The right to be given that information within 20 working days.

Visit the Freedom of Information page of the Information Commissioner's Office website for full details on the topic.

Information already available

We aim to publish as much information as we can and a considerable amount of information is available on this website, through the Publication Scheme.

The Publication Scheme was created because of the Freedom of Information Act. The scheme has been approved by the Information Commissioner who has wide powers to enforce the rights contained in the Act.

Our publication scheme sets out:

  • How to obtain different types of information;
  • What types of information are available to be inspected and copied.

Before submitting a request you may wish to check if the information is already available. You can do this on our Publications Scheme page.

Frequently requested information that is available on the Publication Scheme page includes:

  • Salary information of senior management
  • Financial budgetary information
  • Procurement procedures and contracts being tendered

Information that we do not hold

We are often asked for information on the following services in Oxford:

  • Schools/Education
  • Libraries
  • On-street parking
  • Social care

We do not hold information on the above issues. You may wish to approach Oxfordshire County Council, the authority responsible.