A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.
You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:
- you live on your own
- no-one else in your home counts as an adult
You’ll usually get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.
You can apply for a discount if you think that this applies to you by using our online form.
People who don't count as adults
These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:
- children under 18
- people on some apprentice schemes
- 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
- full-time college and university students
- young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
- student nurses
- foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
- people with a severe mental impairment
- live-in carers who look after someone who isn’t their partner, spouse or child