Transport and Road Closures
Transport arrangements will be the same as last year with Magdalen Bridge open to pedestrians and closed to traffic from 2am.
Although the High Street is then officially closed until 9am, we have always been able to reopen the road much earlier than this in order to minimise the disruption caused to those using this route to travel into the city. We will reopen the road as soon as it is safe to do so.
For the latest updates please check the Oxfordshire County Council website.
The following road closures will be in place from 2am to 9am on 1 May.
- A420 High Street - from The Plain to east of junction with King Edward Street (road closure including bicycles)
- Longwall Street - from junction with High Street to Holywell St junction (road closure including bicycles)
- Rose Lane - entire Road (road closure including bicycles)
- Merton Street - junction with High Street (road closed including bicycles at junction with High Street. entry and exit via King Edward Street)
- Queen’s Lane - junction with High Steet (road closure including bicycles)
Please note that Broad Street will not be closed to traffic on May Morning. Oxford City Council and event partners will be focussing resources on managing the crowds at Magdalen Bridge. Broad Street will be relatively free from traffic at 6am, but members of the public need to be aware that the road could still see some vehicles.
See our Car Parks in Oxford page for full details.
We suggest using Oxpens car park if you plan on driving into Oxford.