Universal Credit

Where to get help

Universal Credit is run by the DWP, not the council.

As support to pay your council tax is not included in your Universal Credit, we can give you help to pay your council tax.

Support when making a new Universal Credit claim

Citizens Advice Oxford can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit, from opening your account to getting your first full payment. Their advisers can help you to:

  • set up your Universal Credit account
  • complete your claim to do list
  • verify your identity
  • make sure you're providing the right evidence to the jobcentre
  • understand what Universal Credit will mean for you

If you're not sure what help you need, Citizens Advice Oxford will advise you what support they can give.

You can visit Citizens Advice Oxford at 95 St Aldate's between 10 am and 2 pm on weekdays. You can get phone advice by calling 0800 144 8444 (freephone).  

Support while you are claiming Universal Credit

The advice centres in Oxford can support you with many issues which can occur while claiming Universal Credit.

If you are claiming Universal Credit and are struggling to afford your tenancy you can contact our Welfare Reform Team. The team can provide expert Universal Credit housing advice, discuss options with you to resolve the situation, and consider you for discretionary housing payments.

To contact the Welfare Reform Team please use the contact information at the bottom of this page.