Universal Credit

Know your rent

If you are a tenant you will need to tell Universal Credit about the rent you are expected to pay, even if housing benefit has paid some or all of this before.

To avoid unnecessary delays in payment, you will need to tell the DWP how much your rent is when you first claim Universal Credit and if your rent increases or decreases during your claim.

If you are a private tenant, your rent should be in your tenancy agreement or in any rent increase notice you get from your landlord.

If you are a council or housing association tenant, you will need to check your rent statement or ask your landlord what your rent is before you claim Universal Credit.