Universal Credit

Emergency help while you wait for your first payment

Springboard Money logo

We have set up an emergency fund to support Universal Credit claimants who are waiting for their first payment. This fund may be available if you:

  • live within Oxford City Council boundaries or are one of our tenants
  • have made a claim for Universal Credit and applied for an advance payment
  • are working with our Springboard Money service or an advice service to help manage your money
  • need help because you cannot afford to pay for food, household necessities or utilities before you get your first Universal Credit payment.

The fund is not intended to provide help with housing costs, debts, or to be an alternative to Universal Credit advance payments.

Any assistance under this fund is at the discretion of the Springboard Money service and will not take the form of cash payments.

Information for advice services

If you are helping someone who is waiting for their first Universal Credit payment over debt or money management issues, you can make an application for financial assistance only. You will need to apply for an emergency payment using our Springboard Money referral form - you can download the form here.

Please make it clear on the form that your customer does not have enough money to live on while they wait for their first Universal Credit payment and that you are asking for an emergency payment.