Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

What you can claim for

  • Housing Benefit for rent paid to a private landlord, housing association or a council home;
  • Council Tax Reduction for Council Tax on your home.

From 18 October 2017 - Universal Credit

All postcodes within the Oxford City Council boundary now fall under the full service of Universal Credit.

If you live in Oxford and want to make a new claim for Housing Benefit you will need to claim universal credit instead to help with your housing costs unless:

  • You and your partner have both reached state pension age.
  • You are receiving support from/on behalf of your landlord as part of your tenancy. Please discuss this with your support worker.
  • You are responsible for more than 3 children and have not previously received Universal Credit.
  • You are in receipt of Housing Benefit already. You will remain on Housing Benefit until you have a change in circumstances that requires a new claim for JSA(IB), ESA (IR), Tax credits* or Housing Benefit at another local authority. Some examples are losing a job, becoming sick, becoming fit for work after illness, having a first child, moving into work from unemployment or moving out of the local authority area.

*If you are getting Child Tax Credit becoming entitled to Working Tax Credit does not count as a new claim

You still need to claim Council Tax Reduction from Oxford City Council. Please complete your application as soon as possible and tell us what your income is whilst you are awaiting a decision on your Universal Credit application.

Please see our universal credit pages for more details.

If you live outside Oxford but claim Housing Benefit from Oxford City Council because Oxford City Council is your landlord the following towns move or have moved to the full service of Universal Credit on the following dates:

  • Abingdon - 4 October 2017
  • Didcot - 11 October 2017
  • Bicester - 22 November 2017
  • Kidlington - 17 January 2018

When to apply

You should claim as soon as possible. If you delay in claiming, you may lose benefit.

If you think you are going to need help with your rent in the future, you can apply up to 13 weeks in advance.

You may also be able to ask for Housing Benefit to start before the date you applied. This is called backdating a claim.

Apply online

Use our online claim form to fast track your claim.

This form is for new claims only. Please do not complete this form if you are already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

Once you have completed your form you will receive details of what information is required to process your claim, which you can send to us by email.

The start date of your claim will normally be the Monday after we receive your form. You can save your claim and go back to it to complete it later, but in order for your claim date to be honoured you will need to submit it to us within 14 days of the date that you first started the form or the start date of your claim may be affected.

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Upload evidence by email

If you have any problems with the form please download the guide below or contact us.

Benefits eClaim User Guide (PDF)