Information required to make a Selective Licensing application
The Council will be using an online system as our preferred method of applications. One of the Council’s core ambitions is to pursue a Zero Carbon Oxford. Paper applications do not contribute to Zero Carbon Oxford and will take more time to process.
To make an application you will need (this information is required by the Housing Act 2004 and associated regulations):
- The name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the Applicant and Licence Holder (if the applicant is not the proposed licence holder). The licence holder must be the property owner or the person who is responsible for managing the property (to whom the tenants pay rent to).
- The name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the of any managing agent or person in control of the property (if not the licence holder)
- The name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the any freeholder(s) and any lease holder(s).
- The name, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the any Mortgage company(s) and any person or organisation that has a legal interest in the property.
- The address of the HMO or house for which the application is being made;
- The approximate age of the original construction of the house (using the categories before 1919, 1919-45, 1945-64, 1965-80 and after 1980);
- The type of house, by reference to one of the following categories—
- house in single occupation;
- flat in single occupation;
- a house converted into and comprising only of self contained flats;
- a purpose built block of flats; or
- Details of other HMOs or houses that are licensed under Part 2 or 3 of the Act in respect of which the proposed licence holder is the licence holder, whether in the area of the local housing authority to which the application is made or in the area of any other local housing authority;
- The following information about the house for which the application is being made:
- the number of storeys comprising the house and the levels on which those storeys are situated; eg ground/ first
- the number of separate letting units;
- the number of habitable rooms
- the number of bathrooms and shower rooms;
- the number of toilets and wash basins;
- the number of kitchens;
- the number of sinks
- the number of households occupying the house;
- the number of people occupying the house;
- details of fire precautions equipment, including the number and location of smoke alarms;
- details of fire escape routes and other fire safety training provided to occupiers;
- a declaration that the furniture in the house that is provided under the terms of any tenancy or licence meets any safety requirements contained in any enactment; and
- a declaration that any gas appliances in the house meet any safety requirements contained in any enactment.
- Information about the Applicant and Licence Holder’s Fit and Proper Person status
In addition to the above information to use the online Application system you will also need
- The date of birth of the proposed Licence Holder
- The size of the rooms within the property apart from bathrooms and separate WC
- The location of rooms within each property, eg ground floor, first floor. The system will allow an upload of a floor plan of the property which will assist in this.
The applicant is required to inform relevant persons (those persons with a legal interest in the property) that an application for a Selective Licence has been made and declare this to the Council.
Fit and Proper Person information
The following information is required:
- Details of any unspent convictions that may be relevant to the proposed licence holder’s fitness to hold a licence, or the proposed manager’s fitness to manage the HMO or house, and, in particular any such conviction in respect of any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, or violence or drugs or any offence listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003(1);
- Details of any finding by a court or tribunal against the proposed licence holder or manager that he has practised unlawful discrimination on grounds of sex, colour, race, ethnic or national origin or disability in, or in connection with, the carrying on of any business;
- Details of any contravention on the part of the proposed licence holder or manager of any provision of any enactment relating to housing, public health, environmental health or landlord and tenant law which led to civil or criminal proceedings resulting in a judgement being made against him.
- Information about any HMO or house the proposed licence holder or manager owns or manages or has owned or managed which has been the subject of:
- a control order under section 379 of the Housing Act 1985(2) in the five years preceding the date of the application; or
- any appropriate enforcement action described in section 5(2) of the Act.
- Information about any HMO or house the proposed licence holder or manager owns or manages or has owned or managed for which a local housing authority has refused to grant a licence under Part 2 or 3 of the Act, or has revoked a licence in consequence of the licence holder breaching the conditions of his licence; and
- Information about any HMO or house the proposed licence holder or manager owns or manages or has owned or managed that has been the subject of an interim or final management order under the Act.
- Information about where a banning order under section 16 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 is in force against the Applicant, Licence Holder or person managing or in control of the house.