Alternatives to Bulky Waste Collection
If you no longer have use for larger items but they are still in good condition, the best option is to pass them onto somebody else.
Organisations to contact
- Oxford Freecycle A group open to all in the Oxford area who would prefaer to pass on to others, rather than throw away unwanted items.
- Emmaus Oxford Collect donated re-usable furniture, electrical appliances and other household items from most Oxfordshire locations and sells these from their shops in Oxford at affordable prices.
- Orinoco The Oxfordshire Scrapstore. Accept tools and scrap items to use for art projects.
- Charity Shops - Location Map (PDF) Donate unwanted goods to charity shops who always need good quality used goods including sofas and upholstered chairs (which must comply with flammability regulations), wardrobes, tables, chairs, book cases and coffee tables etc.
- Daily Info Advertise your goods locally online.
Many other charities offer a free collection service for furniture - search online to find more.
You can also take unwanted items to Redbridge Waste Recycling Centre run by Oxfordshire County Council.
Small electrical items that will fit in a standard sized carrier bag such as telephones, electric toothbrushes, hair dryers, DVD players, games consoles, toasters, kettles, irons and even cables can all be recycled on top of your blue or green bin on collection day. Alternatively they can be recycled in the pink banks around the city. Visit our Bring Banks page for locations.
Larger electrical items such as vacuum cleaners, electric lawnmowers, faxes and printers can be collected on our bulky waste service.