Cutteslowe and Sunnymead Park
Cutteslowe and Sunnymead is the largest park in Oxford. It is located in the far north of the city.
The park is proud to fly its Green Flag Award. The Green Flag is the standard for parks and green spaces in England and Wales, awarded by Keep Britain Tidy. It is a means of recognising and rewarding the best green spaces in the country.
- Location map
- Travel and Parking
The postcodes for the park are OX2 8NP (Northern end) and OX2 7XD (Southern end).
By bus: There are regular bus services to the Park, run by the Oxford Bus Company (routes 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 7D) and Stagecoach (17, 17A and 17C).
Park & Ride: The nearest Park & Ride is Water Eaton. Buses stop at the top of Harbord Road, which is a 10 minute walk to the park.
By car: There are two car parks. One is at the north end of the park at the Harbord Road entrance. The other is at the south end of the Park, off the A40 entrance (heading towards Headington). Parking charges apply at both car parks. Parking restrictions apply to surrounding residential roads.
- Opening Times
The park is open all day, every day.
Some activities do have time restrictions.
The 42 hectacres that make up Cutteslowe & Sunnymead Park is split with the old Cutteslowe Park to the north and Sunnymead park to the south.
The Cutteslowe area was acquired in stages, between 1936 and 1938. The Sunnymead area of the park was once a Council tip and wasteland. The two sections were joined together by a new bridge in 2002.
During the Second World War large areas of the park were dug up to produce vegetables. After the war the park continued to grow with the inclusion of a disused section of allotments to the South of the Cutteslowe area of the park. This is now managed to provide a semi-natural wildlife area and community woodland.
- Things to do
- Splash Feature to be open on the first May bank holiday of the year
- go orienteering with the 18 control course (maps available at the kiosk/office)
- use the three children's play areas. 2 are on the Cutteslowe side and 1 on the Sunnymead side
- play football or cricket on the grass pitches- booking can be made through www.pitchbooking.com
- play informal football or basketball in the street sports site
- grab a bat and play table tennis on one of three tables
- watch the ducks in the duck pond or the birds in our aviary
- have a game of Beach Volleyball
- play a round of miniature golf on the new course (hire clubs at the kiosk)
- ride the trains on the Cutteslowe Park Miniature Railway (April - October and operated by The City of Oxford Society of Model Engineers Ltd.)
- admire the ornamental flower beds and wildflower areas
- skate the concrete skate park with ramps and grind rail
- have a game of tennis on the outdoor tennis courts (book at the kiosk)
- grab a drink or a bite to eat at San Remo's cafe
- catch a Balloon flight from Cutteslowe and Sunnymead Park with Adventure Balloons between April and October
- go geocaching and find our hidden treasure
- walk or run the Sri Chimnoy Peace Mile or take part in the 5k weekly Park Run
- walk through the community woodland or Sunnymead nature area
- hold a meeting or party in the top pavilion
- grow your own vegetables and flowers in the allotment
- climb the tree trunks
It is currently not possible to fly model aircraft or drones (both with and without camera for filming purposes) within Oxford City Council’s public open spaces, including parks and nature reserves.
As these spaces are open to the public and experience high visitor numbers throughout the year, flying model aircraft and drones are not permitted for safety reasons.
Regimental Fitness deliver Bootcamp style sessions each week:
Tues 9.30-10.30am, Wed 9.30-10.30am and 6-7pm, Sat 9.30-10.30am
It is now easy to book tennis courts online before you come to the park. This is a great way to make sure one will be free for your game. You can book in minutes from your mobile, tablet or computer.
If you forget to book before you arrive at the park the easiest option is to quickly use your mobile phone to reserve one of the available courts. If you do not have an internet-enabled phone you can also check availability and pay at the kiosk in the park.
Oxford Tennis League - play friendly competitive matches. There are four 8-week rounds a year and adults of all standards are welcome to join.
A free weekly 5km event for runners of all standards on Saturdays at 9am
It is not a race against other runners, but a 5k timed run which can be whatever you want it to be, whether that's for fun or as part of a training plan.
It offers an opportunity for all the local community, male or female, young or old, to come together on a regular basis to enjoy the Park and get physically active.
Taking part is easy - just register in advance on the parkrun website by 6pm on the Friday before your first ever parkrun. The great thing is that you only ever need to do this once.
After the run, if you don't have to get off straight away, there will be the chance to socialise over a cup of tea or coffee at a nearby cafe, to swap stories about your run that day.
So whether you are a complete novice looking to get yourself started or a seasoned athlete wanting to use this as a part of your training schedule, you're welcome to come along and join in.
Wolvercote Cricket Club
Wolvercote Cricket Club play their home matches at Cutteslowe Park. Visit the Wolvercote Cricket Club website for more information.
Cutteslowe Park Miniature Railway
Thanks to Big Lottery Funding a special carriage 'Lottie' enables wheelchair users and their carers the opportunity to experience the thrill of the railway.
Work has started on a new extension to the existing railway tracks which will link passengers to the play areas in the middle of the park. COSME aim to keep disruption to a minimum for apologies for any work being undertaken.
San Remo Kiosk
Serving a tempting array of hot and cold drinks, snacks and treats the San Remo kiosk is the place to go to whatever the weather. You can also pay for your tennis and golf as well as picking up a copy of the park leaflet and orienteering course.
Top Pavilion available to hire
As well as being home of Wolvercote Cricket Club and North Oxford Football Club, the changing facilities and multi-purpose room is available to hire. The room is suitable for classes, meetings, parties or training courses. If you would like to take a tour or book, please visit the Pitch Booking website.
- Friends Group
Friends of Cutteslowe and Sunnymead Park
By becoming a member of the friends group you could:
- make a positive contribution to your local area
- have a say in the park's facilities
- improve the local conservation value
- get exercise, improve your health and wellbeing.
To find out more visit the Friends of Cutteslowe and Sunnymead website.
Friends groups are independent, but work in partnership with us.
Contact the Parks Team: 01865 249811