- Cutteslowe and Sunnymead Park
Cutteslowe and Sunnymead is the largest park in Oxford. It is located in the far north of the city.
The park is proud to fly its Green Flag Award that was awarded again in 2015. Awarded by Keep Britain Tidy, the Green Flag is the standard for parks and green spaces in England and Wales. It is a mens of recognising and rewarding the best green spaces in the country.
- Travel and Parking
The postcodes for the park are:
OX2 8NP (Northern end)
OX2 7XD in the South.
By Bus: There are regular bus services to the Park, run by the Oxford Bus Company (routes 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 7D) and Stagecoach (17, 17A and 17C).
Park & Ride: The nearest Park & Ride is Water Eaton. Buses stop at the top of Harbord Rd, which is a 10 minute walk to the park.
Cycling: There are several local and national cycle routes that bring you near the park.
Car parking is available at Harbord Rd, from A40 Eastbound and Wren Rd. Parking charges do apply and parking restrictions apply to surrounding residential roads.
By Car: There are two car parks. One is at the north end of the Park on Harbord Road. The other is at the south end of the Park, off the A40 (heading towards Headington).
- Opening Times
The park is open all day, every day.
Some activities do have time restrictions.
The 42 hectacres that make up Cutteslowe &
Sunnymead Park is split with the old Cutteslowe Park to the north and Sunnymead park to the south.
The Cutteslowe area was acquired in stages, between 1936 and 1938. The Sunnymead area of the park was once a Council tip and wasteland. The two sections were
joined together by a new bridge in 2002.
During the Second World War large areas of the park were dug up to produce vegetables.
After the war the park continued to grow with the inclusion of a disused section of allotments to the South of the Cutteslowe area of the park.
This is now managed to provide a semi-natural wildlife area and community woodland
- Things to do
The paddling pool will be closed for part of the 2016 season. It will reopen with a new splash feature later in the year.
- Go orienteering with the 18 control course (maps available at the kiosk/office)
- Use the three children's play areas. 2 are on the Cutteslowe side and 1 on the Sunnymead side
- Play football or cricket on the grass pitches- booking is required by visiting/calling the parks office
- Play informal football or basketball in the street sports site
- Grab a bat and play table tennis on one of three tables
- Watch the ducks in the duck pond or the birds in our aviary
- Have a round of miniature golf on the new course (hire clubs at the kiosk)
- Ride the trains on the Cutteslowe Park Miniature Railway (March - October and operated by The City of Oxford Society of Model Engineers Ltd.)
- Admire the ornamental flower beds and wildflower areas
- Skate the concrete skate park with ramps and grind rail
- Have a game of tennis on the outdoor tennis courts (book at the kiosk)
- Grab a drink or a bite to eat at San Remo's cafe
- Catch a Balloon flight from Cutteslowe and Sunnymead Park with Adventure Balloons between April and October
- Go geocaching and find our hidden treasure
- Walk or run the Sri Chimnoy Peace Mile or take part in the 5k weekly Park Run
- Walk through the community woodland or Sunnymead nature area
- Hold a meeting or part in the top pavilion
- Grow your own vegetables and flowers in the allotment
- Climb the tree trunks
To use a drone in your local parks you will need to apply for a licence.
- For non-filming drones will need to apply to email@example.com or call 01865 252240 s for a licence.
- For pilots wishing to use filming drones they must liaise with our events team and complete a filming request.
Your views and the future of the park
We are continually working to improve the park and your views and suggestions help us to do this.
Please spend a few minutes completing our online parks satisfaction survey.
Responses from previous surveys have helped us write and update our Park Management Plan.
- Sporting and Activity Opportunities
All Regimental Fitness bootcamp sessions have been cancelled.
It is now easy to book tennis courts online before you come to the park. This is a great way to make sure one will be free for your game. You can book in minutes from your mobile, tablet or computer.
If you forget to book before you arrive at the park the easiest option is to quickly use your mobile phone to reserve one of the available courts. If you do not have an internet-enabled phone you can also check availability and pay at the kiosk in the park.
Oxford Tennis League - play friendly competitive matches. There are four 8-week rounds a year and adults of all standards are welcome to join.
A free weekly 5km event for runners of all standards on Saturdays at 9am
It is not a race against other runners, but a 5k timed run which can be whatever you want it to be, whether that's for fun or as part of a training plan.
It offers an opportunity for all the local community, male or female, young or old, to come together on a regular basis to enjoy the Park and get physically active.
Taking part is easy - just register in advance on the parkrun website by 6pm on the Friday before your first ever parkrun. The great thing is that you only ever need to do this once.
After the run, if you don't have to get off straight away, there will be the chance to socialise over a cup of tea or coffee at a nearby cafe, to swap stories about your run that day.
So whether you are a complete novice looking to get yourself started or a seasoned athlete wanting to use this as a part of your training schedule, you're welcome to come along and join in.
Bootcamps & Personal Training
Oxfordshire Personal Training run sessions in the park. Visit their website for more information
Is a youth football club with boys and girls teams from 6-18.
They are always keen to recruit new players. If you would like to join, please visit their website www.summertownstars.org
Cutteslowe Park Miniature Railway
Thanks to Big Lottery Funding a special carriage 'Lottie' enables wheelchair users and their carers the opportunity to experience the thrill of the railway.
San Remo Kiosk
Serving a tempting array of hot and cold drinks, snacks and treats the San Remo kiosk is the place to go to whatever the weather. You can also pay for your tennis and golf as well as picking up a copy of the park leaflet and orienteering course.
Top Pavilion available to hire
As well as being home of Wolvercote Cricket Club and North Oxford Football Club, the changing facilities and multi-purpose room is available to hire. The room is suitable for classes, meetings, parties or training courses. If you would like to take a tour or book, please get in touch.
Self Transcendence races along the Sri Chimnoy peace mile.
Race dates: Monday 23 May, 30 May and 13 June
Starts at 7pm
Register at http://uk.srichinmoyraces.org/races/oxford#event-second-section
- Friends Group
Friends of Cutteslowe & Sunnymead Park
Do you visit regularly? Would you like to help improve the park?
By becoming a member of the friends group
-make a positive contribution to your local area
- have a say in the park's facilities
- improve the local conservation value
- get exercise, improve your health and wellbeing.
To find out more visit their website:
Friends groups are independent, but work in partnership with the Council
Becoming a volunteer is a fantastic way to meet new people, develop new skills and gain experience. To find out about all our volunteer opportunities, check out our dedicated page: https://www.oxford.gov.uk/volunteering