South Park occupies 50 acres of open space, with magnificent views overlooking Oxford.
It is open all day, every day and is 5 minutes walk from Cowley Road in East Oxford.
There are park entrances on Morrell Avenue (opposite Cross Street), Headington Road (opposite entrance to Headington Hill park), Cheney Lane and Warneford Lane (near the roundabout that leads to Divinity Road).
- Location map
- Travel and Parking
- Opening Times
The park is open all day, every day.
The park was handed to the Council in 1951 with a covenant preserving it as an open space for the benefit of the public.
- Things to do
The park offers something for everyone, young or old:
- visit the children's play area and zip wire
- use the fitness trail
- run or walk the 321 route
- have a picnic - this does not include barbecues
- catch a hot air balloon flight with Adventure Balloons (April and October)
- enjoy the views over Oxford and the 'dreaming spires'
- walk to Headington Hill Park
It is currently not possible to fly model aircraft or drones (both with and without camera for filming purposes) within Oxford City Council’s public open spaces, including parks and nature reserves.
As these spaces are open to the public and experience high visitor numbers throughout the year, flying model aircraft and drones are not permitted for safety reasons.
There is lots to do if you are looking for something energetic:
Get fit outdoors with the Fit Trail. This spans across both South Park and Headington Hill Park with many stations for an all over workout.
3,2,1 jogging route
If you are looking for a jogging route our marked jogging route will point you in the right direction.
British Military Fitness run bootcamp sessions from South Park (Upper end). Visit the British Military Fitness website.
- Friends Group
Friends of South Park
By becoming a member of the friends group you could:
- make a positive contribution to your local area
- have a say in the park's facilities
- improve the local conservation value
- get exercise, improve your health and wellbeing.
To find out more visit the Friends of South Park website.
Friends groups are independent, but work in partnership with us.
Contact the Parks Team: 01865 249811