No. 18 Windsor Street and 6 Perrin Street
North East Oxford
An historic infant school built in 1873 for the growing 'village' of New Headington through public subscription and was designed and built by Alderman Joseph Castle (Mayor of Oxford 1868/9. It includes the home for the school mistress (No. 18 Windsor Street) and the School building (No.16 Perrin Street) occupying a prominent corner site within an area originally of late 19th century suburban development but with much subsequent redevelopment, making this an important symbol of the area's early development. Both are built in brick with attractive gothic detailing with a degree of integrity that raises them above surrounding houses. The support for its building by the Church of England and Magdalen College reflect involvement of public intuitions in the development of education providsion in the area.
- Type of nomination
Nominated by public
- Nomination Form