- In July-September 2012 the average (median) house price in Oxford was £290,000, which makes Oxford's housing among the least affordable in the country.
- Rented housing in Oxford is also relatively expensive - indeed on one measure it is the most expensive outside London.
- At the 2011 Census there were estimated to be 55,400 households containing 133,200 residents - an average household size of 2.4, which had increased from 2.3 in 2001. In addition there were 18,700 people living in communal establishments.
- The percentage of households who own their home is relatively low in Oxford - 47% compared to 63% in England. The percentage of households who rent their home in the private sector is high - 28% in Oxford compared with 17% in England. This is in part a result of the large number of university students in the city who drive demand for a large rental sector.
- Over the last decade the number of households renting their home in the private sector rose by almost 50%, from nearly 11,000 households in 2001 to nearly 16,000 households in 2011. The number of households who owned their house declined.
- Over the last decade there has been little change in the number of detached, semi-detached and terraced houses which people live in. However there has been a large increase in the number of households living in purpose-built flats, from nearly 11,000 in 2001 to nearly 15,000 in 2011.
- 144 households were living in temporary accommodation we provide in the city as of December 2011. At the same time our waiting list figures exceeded 6,000 households. This is a much higher rate than those of neighbouring districts and the South East region.
Who owns and who rents their home in Oxford? (June 2013 chart; 65kB PDF)
Changing patterns of housing in Oxford (February 2013 chart; 44kB PDF)
Private sector rents are among the least affordable (April 2012 chart; 98kB PDF)
Oxford's housing market 2000-2011 (March 2012 chart; 41kB PDF)
London house prices - but not the wages (February 2011 chart; 48kB PDF)
Housing type data and chart, 2011 Census (35kB XLS)
Housing tenure data and chart, 2011 Census (101kB XLS)
Oxford house prices 2000-2012 data and chart (42kB XLS)
Household estimates and projections 2001-2026 (46kB XLS)
Housing live tables, Department for Communities and Local Government
Oxford City Council housing services
Page last reviewed 02 July 2013