Oxford City Council

PO Box 10, Oxford, OX1 1EN
Tel 01865 249811
Web http://www.oxford.gov.uk/

Business &

Personal Licences

Your Personal Licence application will cost £37.00. The licence lasts for 10 years.

You will also have to allow time and money for training and obtaining documents (see below).

You will need a Personal Licence:

  • if you are designated as the premises supervisor on a Premises Licence for a premises where alcohol is to be sold (on-sales, off-sales, or restaurant)
  • if you want to sell alcohol under a Premises Licence or authorise others to sell alcohol under a Premises Licence
  • if you want to use more than 5 Temporary Event Notices in each calendar year

How long it takes

The Licensing Act 2003 gives the licensing authority up to two months to process applications for Personal Licences. 

Most applications for Personal Licences will be straightforward to process and some will be done quickly. Personal Licences become effective on the day they are granted.

When to apply

You will need time and money to:

  • book onto a training course and get a qualification
  • obtain a certificate of criminal record history


The DCMS (Department of Culture, Media and Sport) must accredit training courses before we can accept qualifications for Personal Licence applications. Their website has a list of Accredited Personal Licence Qualification Providers.

Where to apply

You should apply for a Personal Licence to the licensing authority for the area in which you live, rather than that in which you work.

We only accept applications from applicants who live in the Oxford City Council area, but may be able to advise you if you live outside the city.

What you need to send to us

Make sure you send us all of the following:

You do not need to send anything to the police.


Visit our Renewal of Personal Licences page.

Useful documents

You may find the following checklist helpful in ensuring you have completed your application correctly:

PDF icon Application Checklist (PDF)

Change of address for Personal Licence holders

You must inform us in writing as soon as possible if you change address while holding a Personal Licence. Include the existing licence (both the card and the paper licence) and a cheque for the fee of £10.50.

Page last updated 2 December 2014

Licensing Authority

St Aldate's Chambers

109 St Aldate's



01865 252565

Email this service


Superfast broadband connection vouchers offer

How do you rate this page?

rate this page as GOOD rate this page as AVERAGE rate this page as POOR
What's this?

Trade Waste Advert

Facebook  Twitter  RSS icon


Do it online

Contact Us

Self service: Online services | Telephone: 01865 249811 | Where to find our offices

Copyright © 2015 Oxford City Council, Town Hall, St Aldate's, Oxford, OX1 1BX.
Designed and hosted by Oxford Information Labs Limited.